Dia dos.
---After the plane ride into Mexico City, everything went smoothly. Customs was fine, and there were no bags lost. The taxi ride to our hotel was fun because we got a quick view of the city at night. The hotel was similar to the ones in America minus the fact that we couldn't flush the toilet paper.
The weather is wonderful! We went with a group of other students to a restaurant close to our hotel for dinner. My roommate Heather & I got whistled at over and over. Blondies! Grigas! The streets are old and in rambles. The curbs are detrimental to pedestrians because they have huge drop-offs. I was surprised to see that not many women are out and about at night.
Dinner was delicious. I was able to understand a lot on the menu, but I feel very silly trying to speak in Spanish. This is the first time I've been in a culture that doesn't speak English. It is surprising how much I can retain from my Spanish classes in high school. One girl who went to the restaurant with us ordered a burger (what the heck??).
On the way home, a younger Mexican male grabbed Heather's & my rear-ends, and then he followed our group for a while. We wanted to walk around that night, but after that, we decided it was best not to.
Today we had the most Excellent breakfast (desayuna) at the hotel: fruit, yogurt, croissants, and fresh OJ. Mmmm. We can't drink the water, so we went to a convenient store to by some and some 'tampones' for my other roommate. The old buildings are so vibrant! Yellows & blues & even pinks! People here are very friendly. We just got on a charter bus that will take us to Xicotepec. It is a 4-hr drive through the mountains!
Observations from the bus: Slums. It is so packed in Mexico City due to globalization. These slums are being built on steep hillsides and in swamps. It was absolutely amazing how many people were living in a given area. We say the pyramids of the sun & the moon and many cactus farms (for tequila perhaps?).
No comments:
Post a Comment