Sunday, April 18, 2010

Spring Break Journal Entry 1.

I received permission to use my spring break trip as my cultural diversity event because I do not see how any seminar or session could be more culturally diverse than that! I kept a pretty accurate journal for most of the week, so I wanted to copy it into the blog.

Dia uno. 11 de Marzo

--I am going on a service trip to Xicotepec, Mexico through Rotary International. I am looking forward to many things: spending stress-free time with my roommates, sleep, meeting new people, helping the people of Xicotepec, warm weather & sun, no school, and of course- Mexico! This is a much needed break. I hadn't had much free time all year due to how time-consuming school and work are, and these usually just take time away from sleep.

I am really fortunate to be able to do this. It is inexpensive, and I'd rather be doing something worthwhile for a week versus the typical spring break alternative. I just have no idea what to expect! There are many students from the University of Iowa coming on this trip as a class, and they are in majors like pharmacy, urban planning, and business. There is also a chance that I may be able to participate in a campus plaza design with a landscape architect.

Tonight we will be in Mexico City in a hotel, and then tomorrow morning we will bus to Xicotepec. As of now, everything has been positive. Everyone is friendly, and everything has been going smoothly. We will see what it is like to get through customs, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment