Sunday, March 7, 2010

ISCORE WeScore We All SCORE for ISCORE!

Sorry The title was lame, but Anyways! ISCORE was great. I had no desire to go because frankly I thought it just cut into my busy schedule and I missed 4 hours of work because of it. But it ended up being so worth it! Hannah did Such a good job leading the session about Latinos in America. I had no idea Lou Dobbs was like that! Wow! I also learned the proper way to address Latinos and not just say Mexicans or Spaniards- Big difference.

I also went to the session about minority athletes in a predominately white university. It was very interesting gaining the athletes' perspectives about coming to Iowa. I was suprised to find out that they were often treated better in Iowa than back at home, and diversity wasn't an issue here for them. One athlete talked about how her mom was white and her father was black and that she was often made fun of for it back home, but here, no one cares.

I wish I didn't have classes all afternoon because I wanted to attend the other ones. Two of my friends were leading a session about the difficulty of knowing which race someone belongs to (Puerto-Rican, etc.) One of them was born with an abnormality and doesn't have a hand. When talking about diversity, I thought this was something that reminded me of it. She is an architecture student and is just as good as anyone else, and she does it without a hand! She builds amazing models and does great drawings (by hand and on the computer) and she doesn't let it bother her. All of our friends forget about it too! She has a wonderful personality, and I think it is amazing that she is able to excel without difficulty. This is one of the instances when you have to get to know someone before you treat them differently.

Yay for ISCORE!

Chaoo

3 comments:

  1. I went to the presentation that your friends put on. They did a great job! They seem very passionate about multiracial conflicts in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the titles you come up with, they make me laugh. I attended Hannah's and your friends presentation, I honestly didn't even notice the hand and they both had awesome personalities and were fun to listen to. That's why people always tell us to never judge a book by the cover. Good post!

    See ya Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, I totally agree I learned a ton from Hannahs session, I had no idea about all the ins and outs of reporters and was really glad I went to the Who are you session your friends put on, well worth the time!

    ReplyDelete