Listening is the most important part of communication. In today's rushed world, it is often too easy to pretend to listen to someone because we are so concerned with our own agendas/thoughts. We nod and act like we know what the other person is talking about, but we have no idea. I sometimes find myself doing this when I am stressed about everything going on. My goal is to become a more active listener. I need to slow down and really listen to what the other person is saying because they obviously think it is important, and I should too.
Listening is the most important thing a peer mentor can do I think. A lot of times people with concerns know the answers themselves and just need someone else to talk it through with. Other times people really need help and advice. I want to be the best peer mentor I can, so I am going to listen intently to people even when I would rather be doing or thinking about something else. When someone knows you are listening, I think they trust you more, and the relationship becomes stronger faster.
So Listen Up everyone! You could make a friend :)
No comments:
Post a Comment