I had the worst example of a time when I was frustrated that I talked to Randi about. I recently got accused of cheating by a professor. She accused me via e-mail that I cheated because my answers were very similar to another students on an easy homework assignment. She outright called me a cheater and said I'd get a zero for the assignment. I was very upset because I knew I didn't cheat on the assignment because it is through a computer program that basically gives us the answers after doing a step-by-step assignment. I tried to e-mail and call her but got nothing. I felt Soooo sick to my stomach because she doesn't normally forgive or admit when she is wrong. I didn't know how I could show that I didn't cheat, and I kept thinking about how everyone in my department would view me. I blubbered to my advisor, and he made me feel alot better. I finally talked to her (she didn't email me back to late the next morning!) and she 'said she believed me.' I found out that there were 5 of us that had similar answers, and it turned out that we all missed a step in the assignment, and that was why we had similar answers.
I went from being upset to just being pissed. How could someone outright accuse 5 good students of something like that without confronting us and asking us first? She ended up apologizing in an E-MAIL. Who does that?? I lost all respect for her, and it sucks because I can't do anything about it because she controls my grade. I think as a professor, that is one of the most unprofessional things she could've done. I don't really know how to just pretend like everything is okay. I really don't know how metacognition plays into this at all. The only thing I can think of is that she is a stickler for plagiarism and has caught students in the past. But STILL!
Also- My mom works for her ex-husband's sister and she found out that my professor was having a nasty issue with her ex regarding child support around that time. Maybe I was getting the shit-end of the deal. But still! Are you kidding me? GRRRRRR
I'm clearly still bent about this whole situation. Anyways Yay metacognition!
Chao
That really sucks! I guess she's just doing her job by finding similar answers like that, but at the same time I think she should have looked into it more than she did before accusing you all. That's just a bummer. :(
ReplyDelete