Monday, March 15, 2010

Buenos Noches!!


Hola everyone from Xicotepec Mexico. I am a day late with my post & I apologize but this is the first time I could get internet. I am sitting in a tiny internet cafe. So my group here is literally the only people from the United States. We get stared at everyday! Since I speak little Spanish, it is difficult at times. I want to communicate with the people of Xicotepec, but I can´t. My friend Heather & I have blonde curly hair and are just a marvel to everyone. No one has ever seen hair like ours. We went to an orphanage and every boy wanted his picture taken with us. I definitely understand what it feels like to be an outsider and to not be able to speak the native language. I will definitely be more respectful to those that come to ISU because I know how difficult it must be for them. I will talk more when I return home. My roommates are currently outside speaking with elementary boys in Spanish.

Adios!!


3 comments:

  1. It's crazy how different it feels when you get put in the minority situation huh? Glad to see you are doing something productive and worthwhile over your break. Hope you have safe travels and see you soon :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great that you got a chance to go help others and get the chance to communicate with people who are live a different lifestyle than you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too know how it feels to be the minority in a country. It's a weird feeling not being able to communicate easily, not really fun either. Sounds like you had a great time, and very nice picture! :)

    ReplyDelete