I guess the Vatican Museum is free on the last Sunday of every month, so this and an upcoming project deadline pretty much prohibited us from doing anything fun this weekend. We had a successful happy hour at our apartment on Thursday. I spent most of the day Friday working on my studio project, and that night, a few of us went for a walk and got a late dinner. We had a 9am lecture about Raphael, Michelangelo, and the Vatican. In the afternoon I worked in studio then went with a small group to watch the USA v Ghana soccer game in a bar. The bar was in Campo de Fiori which is a pretty lively place at night. It was called The Drunken Ship if that doesn't scream American bar for you. The place was packed with American students, and USA ended up losing to Ghana in overtime 2-1. I think I became a fan of soccer for a night.
This morning (Sunday) we had to be at the Vatican at 7:45 am! The line was already super long, and the doors didn't even open until 9. We eventually got in, and I felt like a tour guide (sort of) because I knew a lot of random facts since I had already been there with a tour last weekend. We actually walked through more of the museum than when I was there last weekend, and it seemed like it took forever. Don't get me wrong, I was super excited to see the Sistine Chapel again, but it was a never-ending walk through hallways. Once again- Completely in awe of Michelangelo. He is a god in my eyes. I must read the Agony & the Ecstasy again! They even had modern paintings towards the end, and all I could think of was how the modern art was crap compared to Raphael and Michelangelo.
After the museum, a few of us girls were Starving and grabbed some take-away pizza and gelato. I took a quick nap once I got home, then I went for an hour + run along the Tiber. I have learned that the Italians are super slow when they walk and never move to the side for anyone. Very irritating. I have about a one foot path to run on which is between a parked smart car and a large stump of a sycamore that's tearing up the sidewalk. I can deal with it- I've become a bit more coordinated due to having to watch where I step because of all the cobblestone. It is pretty amusing to watch women in stilettos try to walk on them. Not too intelligent if you ask me.
After that I rushed through a shower and met Connor at the Teatro Marsello. It was a man playing the piano- works by Haydn, Liszt, and some others. He was amazing, and it would be fun to go back someday. There is a concert every evening, and it is outside of the old theater that resembles the Coliseum. A few of my classmates actually thought it was the Coliseum at first (ha ha).
Tomorrow I'll be working in studio most of the day, and on Tuesday we are going to Florence!
Ciao Ciao!
No comments:
Post a Comment