Monday, February 1, 2010

Role playing (in a sense)

Today in our Hixson retreat we talked about the 5 roles we will play as peer mentors: the peer leader, the trusted friend, the connecting link, the learning coach, and the student advocate. I think that finding the balance between these 5 and being superb in each will be the biggest challenge for me. When you want to make a first impression (the major thing that makes or breaks your likeability), it can be all to easy to be their best bud and act cool, but there also needs to be professionalism as well. When the mentees aren't much younger than us, I feel we are on the same level as they are, and inflicting authority seems strange. Just knowing that I have several other new mentors in the same position I'll be in that I can go to and ask for help is reassuring. I know I can go to the other Hixson peer mentors and receive some great advice.

I almost feel that we will get as much out of this experience as the mentees. I think I will learn so much from all the situations I could face in the fall when mentoring the new freshmen. My actions will directly reflect who I want to be and the example I want to set for the mentees. Not only do I want to teach them how to be responsible college adults, I want to show them by my own example. As much as we all do it, the "Do as I say, not as I do" is slightly hypocritical, and the goal of actually "Leading by Example" will force me to watch my own actions more carefully

I almost feel guilty for knowing how much I'm getting out of the Hixson peer mentor experience. I think I'll grow and mature even more. I just hope the mentees can have as positive outcomes as I will have. My goal will be to make sure that happens.

Chao.

1 comment:

  1. it can be all to easy to be their best bud and act cool, but there also needs to be professionalism as well. -so true

    I almost feel guilty for knowing how much I'm getting out of the Hixson peer mentor experience. I think I'll grow and mature even more. -love it

    Glad to see all the connections you're making. Who benefits more, the student or teacher? Hard to say. A win-win situation I suppose!

    Heath

    ReplyDelete