When talking with Taylor about our values and why we value them, I started to think about my own actions and how my values relate to them. Taylor said that there are a lot of people that look up to him, so he makes sure that he watches his actions because of this. I think this is critical to being an effective peer mentor. We can't just say what we want them to do; we actually have to be the role models and act the way we think is right. I've been thinking about that a lot this weekend- Why do I do the things I do? Why do I get super stressed in school while others just take it with an easy stride? Why do I think getting a good run in often is important? I am also thinking about my actions that don't correspond with my values and what I can do to change my actions so that they do. My peers in this Hixson seminar are driving me to look more at myself and evaluate myself and my ability to lead others. They are a wonderful group that makes me want to be the best that I can. Our discussions are incredible and I know they will get even better!- so thanks everyone.
Chao
Loved this post Lauren. Really appreciate how authentically engaged in the class you are. We're all the better for it.
ReplyDelete-Heath
I think that our values are something that we all consider to some extent everyday as we go through are lives. I also believe that our values also lead us to what we consider our ideal self should be. This is something Josh and I were talking about and I feel that while we may strive to achieve an ideal self we can never fully reach it because as we approach it we will continue to change what it is exactly that we consider ideal, because there is always something more that can be done.
ReplyDeleteLauren,
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean when you said that you have to actually account for your actions and watch what you do. I had a little incident this past weekend where I had to check myself so my actions didn't affect other people.
Lauren,
ReplyDeleteI totally agree as well. I think with experiences like these we really look at ourselves and think about what we are doing before we do it. It is very important to understand and critique our own actions before we start trying to guide others to make good choices.