Wow I cannottt believe I have been in Switzerland for almost 1 month already. It is scary-crazy how fast time flies. Gahh. Okay. So it has been one month and what can I say..? My Deutsch has certain NOT improved. This language is so. damn. difficult. My EXCUSE for not learning much so far is that that 1. I work until at least 8pm most evenings and 2. I am trying to finish this giant bible of a book called Goldfinch before I start anything new. Excuses excuses. I think I have had ten pages left of this book the last two nights I have began reading, but I start reading at midnight and fall asleep in two minutes flat. My progress is poor to say the least.
I do like it here very much. We are having an unbelievably nice autumn, so I have been able to bike to work everyday (4.3 km one way to be exact) and explore new places every weekend. Let me give you a brief recap of my month:
Weekend 1- Explored Rapperswil-Jona on Saturday. Hiked on Sunday.
Weekend 2- Explored Lucerne with a friend on Saturday. Hiked to Rigi Kulm. (This was a BEAUTIFUL hike until right before I got to the top, and the clouds and rain rolled in, and I couldn't see a damn thing).
Weekend 3- Shopped and relaxed a bit in Rapperswil and explored Zurich with a coworker. Hiked with another coworker on Sunday.
Weekend 4- Oktoberfest in Munich. (Yes, this is the Real Oktoberfest, and no, I did not wear a dirndl.) I met up with a friend I used to work with in Fort Lauderdale who now lives with her husband on the Army Base in Germany. Great time but way too crowded for me. I loved Munich very much though. The Englischer Garten was easily my favorite thing to see. Oh and a REALLY cool thing I saw was the Eisbach river surfing- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlqwnA9faTU
Inside one of the 'tents' at Oktoberfest- lots of people with bad clothing.
My new best friend. Note: impressive mullet
Work has been going well. Between Swiss projects and Miami projects, I am constantly running around like a mad woman, but I like this (for the most part). Having all stores close at the same time I have been leaving work is a pain. The major downside is the language barrier. Most people speak English, but if they aren't directly talking to me, everything is in German. I miss out on a lot of conversations, but at the same time, I'm missing out on a lot of typical office drama bullshit too.
I have my own project of sorts to work on here. It is a residential 'chalet' on a hillside in Switerland. Tonight I have to draw up my design to show my boss tomorrow (which is why this post is certainly not thought-provoking at all).
Oh, and extremely exciting news! Two of my best girlfriends have booked tickets for Thanksgiving Break! They fly into Zurich and from there it is undecided where we will go. Right now we are toying with Prague, Greece, Vienna, Salsbury, etc. etc. etc. But I am peeing my pants in excitement (mostly because I never thought they would actually come!)
Ok off to the drawing table. Tschüss!


No comments:
Post a Comment