Monday, March 7, 2011

Beginning of March

So I've been doing a horrible job at keeping my blog updated. (Thanks for the reminder, Luke). It seemed like February flew by! I guess it was only 28 days. February was a good month. I am still enjoying work a lot. I've been rendering a lot of plans and some things in AutoCAD, etc. Today I just got done with four options to send out to the client for a project called Playa Tumbes in Peru. It is my studio's first project in Peru, and the site is pretty small, like less than 250 hectares. (Oh yeah, in my studio, it is straight metric system since just about all of our projectsare in Latin America). I don't understand why America has to have the English system. Completely bogus if you ask me.

The only things that are on the site are shrimp farms and rice patties, so as you can imagine, it is pretty flat and wet. The client wants a golf course on it, but there is no way it could fit on the site with everything else the client wanted, so we had to propose alternative solutions with buying adjacent land. I don't know how many tiny splices I had to draw up, scan, and photoshop to make these four different options, but it took a long time. And then I did the area take-offs for each area (single family, medium density, beach club, hotel, hotel village, marina, etc etc. and put them in legends. They were finally sent out today! Phew. Now I am going back to working on the booklet I was working on when I first got here, only now I'm helping with one of the enlargement plans. I missed drawing! Two weeks ago I had the privilege of marker-rendering an enlargement plan for a marina for a project called Isla del Rey in Panama. It turned out lovely. I am hoping that someone will let me try sections soon In due time I'm sure.

I am beginning to become friends with people at work. A few weekends ago I went out with a group. We started just hanging out in the EDSA parking lot drinking a few beers (classy, yes) and then went to Rocco's Tacos, a brand new restaurant on Las Olas, only a few blocks away. It was the grand opening of this Mexican restaurant, and it was an open bar from 7-midnight but not food (hilarious). We got there and had to wait in a long line. They had valet with Lamborghinis and Porches parked there (for a Mexican restaurant, get real). Rocco himself was pouring patron into people's mouths in line. (Gross). The wait was worth it though because the large group of us had a lot of fun and yes, the drinks were free. After that, a smaller group of us went to Yolo's, a pretty swanky bar/restaurant on Las Olas that a eccentric guy at work, Neal, told us was only a 10 minute walk. It took 20. It was fun, but unfortunately Jon, the new hire in my studio from K-State and also born in Winfield, KS, got sick and went home. The four of us, Neal, Natalia, Garrett, and I somehow ended up dancing. What a blast!

The next morning wasn't so hot though. I woke up on Jon's couch and had to walk back to the office to get my car. How's that for walk of shame?? Just kidding. That day a group of us went to Pompano Beach, a little north of Fort Lauderdale. The sunscreen wasn't applied very well because my back was FRIED! Jon slapped sunscreen on so he had white streaks all over. Hilarious. That night the group of us grilled kabobs and sat around talking. The next day, Josefina (the extremely sweet, funny Argentinian in my studio) and I went to Sawgrass Mills, a Huge outlet mall. We bought swimming suits and clothes, etc. since we got paid that week, perhaps bought a little too much, but that's okay.

Last weekend I ran 5 miles in the Fort Lauderdale Riverwalk Run. EDSA paid for our entries and there was about 20 of us who did the 5-mile or the 3-mile. It was a good time, but I hate running in the mornings let alone racing. I guess I ended up getting 3rd in my age group. Funnier than hell if you ask me. I think I ran it in like 44 minutes or something. How bad is that?

This last weekend I went to Tarpon Bend for happy hour after work with Josefina, Jon, and his friend Aaron from Kansas. We met up with a few other people at work. After that we grabbed pizza and then went to another bar that was by the ocean. It was called McSorleys, and here we met more people from work. It was packed and the spring breakers were out. After that we met a few other people at a small, new bar called Laserwolf. It was very low-key but I was so Tired! I was falling asleep.

Yesterday Jon, Aaron, and I went deep-sea fishing. It was awesome because we got to see Fort Lauderdale by water. We drove by the port and saw all of the giant cruise ships. Holy hell! They are even bigger when you are right next to them. Seeing the houses by the canals was amazing. They are so expensive and beautiful. But of course the only rainy weekend was this weekend, so it was chilly and rained half the time. Boo!

Next weekend my friends and Tom are coming to visit for Spring Break.. kind of nervous but Very excited! Eeeeee :)




No comments:

Post a Comment