Sunday, July 11, 2010

Venezia


On July 8th I went to Venice with my dad & aunt. It was unlike anything I've ever seen. We took a water taxi from the train station to get to our hotel. Pretty much all we could do that night was walk around and get lost. It is Impossible not to get lost in Venice. The 'roads' are rediculous and have no order that I am aware of. We walked around and then had a great dinner at a small restaurant with a very funny waiter. Nancy had liver & onions which I had never tried before, and dad had spaghetti and squid with black sauce (aka the squid's ink). Both were really good. I had fish because I am taking all the protein I can get since I pretty much only eat pasta and bread at home. After that dad and I went for another walk by San Marco and figured out how to get to our apartment without getting lost. (Yay for us!)

The next day the three of us got coffee and then explored Venice and did some shopping. We went to the Peggy Guggenheim museum. It had a lot of modern art, and it was Extremely refreshing to see modern art after a month of art older than America.

We walked around some more, I did some sketches, and we had some drinks before dinner. We had dinner at Taverna San Trovaso, a family-owned restaurant. It was very good. After exiting the restroom, I was greeted by one of the good-looking waiters, and he gave me his number. When I was walking away, I heard him tell the cooks 'Que Bella!' (Pretty typical Italian phrase). I was pretty excited except that dad won't let his only daughter have any fun and put the cabosh on that idea. Damn.

The next day we went to the Accademia to see some more ancient art, and we continued to get lost. Dad & I made some purchases, and the man we made purchases from gave me a glass pendant. It pretty much made my day. The train ride back to Rome was relaxing yet sad because I was not ready to come back to the squelching heat of Roma. I was very much enjoying my air conditioning and good food. I did, however, get to enjoy those luxuries one last night in Rome because I stayed at their hotel on their couch. This morning I sent them off at the airport, cried a little on the way to the metro, and now I am sitting in my apartment, back in Rome with no air conditioning. This is the first time I've kind of wanted to go home. Boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment