Tom came to visit this week. He is in an integrated studio with 5th-year architecture, landscape arch., and interior design students, and their project is a hotel design with their site being in Miami. Quite convenient because he was able to come visit me early and stay longer. He had the not surprising misfortune of having a delayed flight from Des Moines, making him have to spend the night in Atlanta on Friday and not get here until Saturday morning. It is kind of unnerving to go from counting weeks to counting days and then counting hours until you get to see someone you care about.
After driving around the airport about five times (they wouldn't let me stop and wait for him to come out), I finally picked him up, and it took a few hours to really believe he was there. I guess when you imagine or anticipate something for long enough, it can be hard to believe it when it actually does happen. I think that if he left in those few hours he got here, I wouldn't have even been upset because it wouldn't have felt real that he was here. It reminded me of New Year's- even though it had only been a week since I had seen him before then, I couldn't stop looking at him with almost a fear that he might disappear.
We got lunch at a sushi/Asian place on Las Olas, and it was wonderful how easy everything became, like we weren't apart for a month.Tom went back to his non-stop photographing everything, and I eventually complied and quit turning around whenever he tried to take a picture of me. I actually really like that he takes so many photographs. He doesn't do it in an annoying, touristy way, but rather, it is creative, searching for the right angle, the right color combo, or the perfect shadow, and I can see how passionate he is about it.
We visited the beach, but it was overcast and cool, so we didn't stay too long. We bought groceries to make dinner, and I think we went on a run that evening- not a long one, but we both needed the exercise because we both had that blahh feeling when you haven't moved around enough. Plus, Tom was really excited to be able to run in shorts outside :). By the time we had both cleaned up, it was already after 9pm and we hadn't even made dinner yet. We (or I guess Tom) made fajitas, and Tom made some fantastic guacamole. It was after 11, and we were debating about whether to go out or not. My roommates were almost ready for sleep, but since Tom and I are stupid, we called a cab to take us downtown. We went to a smaller bar that wasn't Packed like most of them, and we spent the night sitting in a booth by ourselves talking about our families and other random topics that most people wouldn't talk about at a bar. Whatever, I wouldn't really define us as normal by any means. It was a quarter til 2am when Tom realized that we had a 5k to run that morning at 8am in Bay Harbor Islands.. Oops.
The next morning we got up after 6 (gross) and drove to the race. Don't ask why we did this race. Tom was pissed because his father beat his half marathon time and he wanted to make himself feel better by doing some form of a race. Anyways, you can imagine how pumped I was to run this race.. not. at. all. I pissed and moaned the entire drive there, but it was a beautiful drive, to be optimistic. We ran the race super slow, like 8-minute miles, but my legs were not functioning, and Tom was nice enough not to leave me running slow by myself. As much as I was dreading it, I was glad we did it and we got sweet t-shirts with peace signs on them (hahahaha).
We got home, packed our leftover guac and chips, and headed to the beach because it was a beautiful day. Tom continued to take more pictures and let me take pictures too! The ones I took of him were excellent of course.
There is a great one where the expression on his face makes him look like a turtle. I think that is his favorite. It was nice- inhaling chips, napping, talking, singing Ingrid Michaelson. un dia perfecto. After that we went home, Tom made more guac, and he, my roommates, and I went to some of my coworkers' place to watch the playoffs. It was a fun afternoon.
The people I work with are so fun, and it was great to see some of them outside of the professional world. On the drive home, Tom continued to nod off to sleep, so we didn't do much that night which was perfectly fine because I had to work the next day.
No comments:
Post a Comment